Tuesday 8 January 2013

Next Stop: Italia!

Sorry that this post is so delayed! But I have arrived safely on my second trip to Italy, where I will be staying for 6 weeks. I am living in Brindisi which is South Italy and is a small City with a very beautiful port. I found this experience through a website, HelpX, which, in exchange for light work, I am provided with food and accommodation. With this website I found this hostel, Carpe Diem, where I am required to do basic tasks; checking in the guests, tidying up, laundry, bar work, assisting with cooking, washing up, helping the guests when they need anything and any other odd jobs that are needed. I have also completely swept a HUGE drive of all leaves and dirt and scraped away the plaster of a wall which is the beginning of a redecorating project. Aside from this, I am given time to be able to explore the city (which involves getting a small ferry across the river, which takes less than a minute). I have visited some gorgeous, very old churches and buildings that are stunning. And of course, I have eaten some INCREDIBLE pizza.


One quite funny but at the time very nerve racking experience was when a couple came to check in who had made a reservation. Everyone else was out so I was left holding the fort and this was my first check in solo. Everything was going well and I did all the computer business and took the money and I was chatting away making them feel welcome as I showed them up to the room that they had reserved when oops it turns out whoever they made the reservation with had booked them into a room which belonged to one of the long-term guests who stays here. I had to think quickly and make sure they did not gain a bad impression so told them to wait while I hurriedly thought of the number of another room that had a double bed where they could be alone. Luckily I remembered and rushed down to get the key and moved them along. PHEW. Drama over and they were happy. They also asked for a lot of toilet roll, two in one day at one point...which is worrying..but the customer is always right and has to be pleased so if they wanted toilet roll, toilet roll they got!

Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone. For some reason, it is not letting me upload any photos today but I will try again another time. Hope everyone is well and these posts interest you in some way!





No comments:

Post a Comment